Monday, March 28, 2011

On the realization of ideas.

     First off, it must be recognized that maps don't actually create boundaries - boundaries are a mindset. Just because a map is drawn doesn't mean that a line falls upon the earth, quite the opposite is true. What a map is, is a representation of a mindset. It is not the fault of the cartographers that these boundaries exist, it is a construct of the human mind. This, however, got me thinking. I've done quite a bit on the mapping side of things, borders and whatnot, but I have done very little in the way of making it into a story. With the understanding that the class project is moving in a more modern direction and, with all of this talk on borders, I had a bit of an inspiration.

The cold war.
Specifically, something like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRPP2WXX0U

The Berlin wall is something most people are probably familiar with, but my guess is that most people of my generation do not quite comprehend the gravity of what actually happened when it fell. So, what I'm thinking about for a video here... is a bit of the rise and fall of borders in Germany. I mean, maps were created and separated people - almost literally overnight - and even families were separated and could not be reunited. But what is really great about this story is that it involves a separating of people, a binding together of a new people and then, when the border was torn down, a re-unification of a people. That's just a big deal to me. So direction... now all I need to do is walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment